The promotion of student leadership is an important part of our core values. In Coláiste Iósaef our students are given the opportunity to engage in school leadership through the Student Council and through the School Prefect system.
A Student Council is a representative structure through which students in a post-primary school can become involved in the affairs of the school, working in partnership with school management and staff and parents for the benefit of the school and its students.
In Coláiste Iósaef, we are fortunate to have a very active and involved Student Council. The main role of our Student Council is “to promote the interests of the college and the involvement of students in the affairs of the college, in co-operation with the board, parents and teachers”.
Our Student Council Aims:
- To promote an environment conducive to educational and personal development
- To promote friendship and respect among pupils
- To support the management and staff in the development of the school
- To represent the views of the students on matters of general concern to them
Head Boy and Head Girl
These are the most significant student positions in the school and the choice of candidates reflects the high regard that they are held in by members of the school community.
The Head Boy and Head Girl represent not just the students, but the whole school community and must be capable of fulfilling a variety of roles and responsibilities from the everyday routine to meeting visiting dignitaries and public speaking at school events. The names of the Head Boy and Head Girl will be engraved in a Roll of Honour in the school.
Student Prefects are chosen through a rigorous selection process by the in school management team. At a young age, they are identified as somebody with leadership qualities.
There are obvious implications for a future C.V. and School reference as the duties involve;
- An opportunity to participate in the formal running of the school.
Prefects are a layer between the staff and students in the school:
- They liaise with the Student Council
- They work alongside staff giving practical help with the running of the school….things like helping to supervise locker areas; canteen; corridors
- Help teachers to operate lunchtime initiatives
- Represent the school at public events
- They are role models for fellow students in the school
- Attend Information Evenings for Parents
The school is very proud of its student representatives for 2019/2020.
Student Representatives 2019-2020
1st Year Student Council Representatives:
1st Year Prefects:
2nd Year Student Council Representatives:
2nd Year Prefects:
3rd Year Student Council Representatives:
3rd Year Prefects:
TY Student Council Representatives:
TY Year Year Prefects:
LCA 1 & LCA 2 Student Council Representative:
5th Year Student Council Representatives:
5th Year Prefects:
6th Year Student Council Representatives:
6th Year Prefects: