The Leaving Certificate Applied is a distinct, self-contained two-year Leaving Certificate programme aimed at preparing students for adult and working life. The programme sets out to recognise the talents of all students and to provide opportunities for developing personal responsibility, self-esteem and self-knowledge. The programme focuses on the talents of each student and helps students apply what they learn to the real world.
The two-year programme consists of four half-year blocks called sessions. Achievements are credited in each session.
Courses are offered in three main areas:
- Vocational preparation, involving work experience, enterprise and communication
- General education, offering life skills, the arts, social education, leisure and language
- Vocational education.
Our Leaving Certificate Applied Curriculum:
- Vocational Preparation & Guidance
- English & Communications
- Mathematical Applications
- Introduction to Information Technology
- 2 Vocational Specialisms (Information Communication Technology or
- Agriculture & Horticulture or Engineering)
- Arts Education
- Languages (Irish in one year and French in the second year)
- Leisure & Recreation
- Social Education
- Elective Modules (Religion and Construction Studies or Hair & Beauty or Hotel & Catering or Science)
An LCA Certificate is awarded at 3 levels: