A school board of management is an essential part of school governance and the mission of the school will not be fully realised without an effective board of management.
The Role of the Board
A board of management for an ETB school has a clear remit to manage that school on behalf of the ETB (and the Trustee Partner in the case of a designated community college), in accordance with legislation; Department of Education and Skills (DES) circulars, guidelines and procedures; and any policies or strategies that the ETB may establish regarding the operation of its schools.
The primary role of a board of management is one of governance. Governance is about providing direction and oversight for a school while ensuring that the rights of all members of the school community are upheld and that the school is accountable for its work.
The functions of a board may, in the main, be categorised under three different headings:
- Policy setting and strategic planning
- Monitoring the implementation of policy, strategy and plans
- Supporting the principal and his staff
Coláiste Iósaef Board Members
- Canon William Fitzmaurice (Chairperson)
- Mr Noel Kelly (Board Secretary)
- Sr Teresa Murphy
- Mr Noel Ryan
- Ms Anne Marie Connery
- Ms Michele Daly
- Ms Eileen Fehin
- Councillor Michael Donegan
- Councillor Richard O’Donoghue
- Mr Sean Kennedy
- Mr Michael O’Connor
- Ms Marita Herbert (Recording Secretary)