In accordance with the requirements of the Children First Act 2015, Children First: National Guidance for the Protection and Welfare of Children 2017, the Child Protection Procedures for Primary and Post Primary Schools 2017 and Tusla Guidance on the preparation of Child Safeguarding Statements, the Board of Management of Coláiste Iósaef Community College has agreed the Child Safeguarding Statement set out in this document.
- The Board of Management has adopted and will implement fully and without modification the Department’s Child Protection Procedures for Primary and Post Primary Schools 2017 as part of this overall Child Safeguarding Statement.
- The Designated Liaison Person (DLP) is Noel Kelly.
- The Deputy Designated Liaison Person (DDLP) is Marita Herbert.
- The Board of Management recognises that child protection and welfare considerations permeate all aspects of school life and must be reflected in all of the school’s policies, procedures, practices and activities. In its policies, procedures, practices and activities, the school will adhere to the following principles of best practice in child protection and welfare:
The school will:
- recognise that the protection and welfare of children is of paramount importance, regardless of all other considerations;
- fully comply with its statutory obligations under the Children First Act 2015 and other relevant legislation relating to the protection and welfare of children;
- fully co-operate with the relevant statutory authorities in relation to child protection and welfare matters;
- adopt safe practices to minimise the possibility of harm or accidents happening to children and protect workers from the necessity to take unnecessary risks that may leave themselves open to accusations of abuse or neglect;
- develop a practice of openness with parents and encourage parental involvement in the education of their children; and
- fully respect confidentiality requirements in dealing with child protection matters.
Relevant Policy Documents are available for download by clicking on the following links
- Coláiste Iósaef Child Safeguarding Statement (Updated on 12/10/2020)
- Coláiste Iósaef Child Safeguarding Risk Assessment (Updated on 12/10/2020)
- Parent & Guardian Notification – Child Safeguarding & Anti-Bullying (2020/2021)
- Child Protection Procedures
- Children First National Guidance 2017
For further information in relation to Child Protection, please visit www.tusla.ie
Please note that our next Child Safeguarding Statement and Child Safeguarding Risk Assessment review will take place at the Board of Management Meeting scheduled for September 2021.